My First Rejection Letter!!

Hi Everyone, Mary Rosenblum, my wonderful editor, helped prepare me for the inevitable rejection letters once I started sending out queries to agents. Today I received the first one, thanking me for submitting my manuscript but noting that “it isn’t quite what we’re looking for at present.” This doesn’t necessarily mean that my writing sucks or that the agent didn’t like the content (although both of those are possibilities). Mary reminds me that even if the story is strong and well-written it may not be the ‘flavor of the month’ for the NY publishers. Can’t sell stories about overcoming childhood trauma when the market is thirsty for vampires.

6 thoughts on “My First Rejection Letter!!

1. David swartzman July 10, 2015 at 9:07 pm Reply

MIike, Take heart. I’ve heard of people getting so many rejection letters that they wallpaper their dens with them.
    Maybe, if “Will” gets bit by a zombie, it would give you added plot line options.
    ( Many Confederate ghosts and zombies in Georgia }
    Keep plugging away.
    Good Luck,
    David

2. John DesCamp July 10, 2015 at 9:23 pm Reply

Fuck ‘em!

John DesCamp
    1255 NW 9th #516
    Portland OR 97209
    503-780-7743
    jdescamp2@comcast.net

3. Sandra Clark July 10, 2015 at 9:55 pm Reply

It is only the first letter. Do not be discouraged. Have patience and belief!

• mikedescamp July 10, 2015 at 10:30 pm Reply

Thanks, Sandy. Just starting the process so not discouraged, but I love the support from you all.

4. janetbeard2014 July 11, 2015 at 1:10 am Reply

Chin up…it doesn’t say anything you can do differently….

_____

5. Jeanne July 13, 2015 at 6:20 pm Reply

Your attitude is great. Good things are going to happen.